Le Tonlé Tourism Training Center is a not-for-profit training guest house providing vocational training to disadvantaged youth from Cambodia’s north-eastern provinces of Kratie, Stung Treng, Ratanakiri, and Mondulkiri.
Our guest houses and restaurants provide vital vocational training and a unique opportunity for travellers to support human resource development in Cambodia.
Le Tonlé was founded by Tourism for Help (TfH) association in 2007 in Stung Treng. In the first 5 years under the direct management and operation from TfH, 63 trainees (30 women) successfully undertook the 1 year training course.
From October 1st 2012, the Cambodian Rural Development Team (CRDT) took over the project from TfH under a MoU and agreements with the funding support from the Fédération Genevoise de Coopération (FGC) based in Switzerland and supervised by TfH. Another 36 students (20 women) successfully finished the training course during 2 years under management of CRDT and currently there are 18 students (10 women) participate in the 8th school year (2014 – 2015). Le Tonlé TTC also builds a stable partnership with the Ministry of Tourism, Provincial Department of Tourism, Mekong Discovery Trail Project and Netherlands Development Organization (SNV). To expand the impact scope and provide more opportunities in different aspects of tourism and hospitality, a second Le Tonlé center was established in Kratie town in late 2013. The new training center is equipped with practical facilities such as kitchen, a classroom, a welcoming ground floor restaurant, and a classic 4 bedroom guesthouse in a traditional wooden stilt house. Students will learn and deliver high quality hospitality skills.
Aims & Objectives
- To contribute to poverty reduction and ecological conservation of Cambodia by introducing responsible, sustainable tourism and by training the local population to cater for tourists.
- To give theoretical and practical training to young disadvantaged Cambodians in the different areas of tourism professions to enable them to obtain varied and worthwhile careers.
- To provide quality training in response to the requirements of tourism professionals in Cambodia.
- To integrate the values of responsible tourism in the training
The Training CourseThe Le Tonlé training model is Learning by Doing, and our 12 month training course covers a range of industry-specific subjects.
- Theoretical classes: General English, English for Tourism, Administration & Invoicing, Computer Literacy, Service Excellence, and Ecology.
- Practical classes: Hygiene, First Aids, House-keeping, Cooking and Food Preparation, Food & Beverage service, Front Office & Reception, and Job Application & CV Development.
ImpactFrom 2007 until today, 99 students (50 female) have graduated from the 12 month Le Tonlé training program. Ninety five percent of our trainees found work after graduation in guest houses, hotels, restaurants and other tourism providers in the provinces of Stung Treng, Kratie and Ratanakiri. Hospitality skills are sorely lacking in Cambodia, simply because of the lack of training institutes focusing on vocation skills. Despite year on year growth of tourist arrivals, and ever growing number of guest houses, hotels, and tourism providers, there is a deficit of suitably skilled staff. The training provided by Le Tonlé equips students with job-ready skills, and employers and tourism operators in the north-east welcome the skills and enthusiam our graduates bring to their new careers.
Our original guest house, established in 2007. Our Stung Treng TTC sits on the banks of the Sekong river, just a short bicycle ride away from the confluence of the Sekong and Mekong rivers. The Stung Treng center offers guests 4 tastefully furnished rooms. Our rooms rates are so low, you would hardly believe the service and comfort! The center offers 2 double rooms, 1 twin room, 1 family twin room, and 2 shared bathroom: 1 bright bathroom with hot water and 1 traditional Khmer Bathroom.
Le Tonlé Guesthouse in Stung Treng offers a big relaxing balcony with the beautiful view on the Sekong River and ever-green garden with fresh shadow.
The kitchen at Stung Treng offers a variety of set menus to tempt our guests’ tastebuds. Our high lights are Fish Amok, or a nutty Lao-style Latang with a fresh baked baguette.
What You Can Experience
Our new training center in Kratie offers guests a classic, yet affordable experience. The two guesthouses boast 9 tastefully appointed rooms in a traditional Khmer stilt houses just a few meters from the might Mekong River in a quiet street in Kratie town. The Kratie center offers: 4 double rooms; ; 1 VIP double room, 2 twin rooms; 1 family room; 1 single room; and 2 bright, modern bathrooms featuring solar hot water premium in each houses. We use solar electricity for lighting throughout guest areas to help reduce our carbon footprint. Guest and visitors can also enjoy their favourite Khmer dish from our sophisticated menu in our comfortable garden restaurant. There are almost 100 mouthwatering dishes ready to be served, and our trainees are eager to please!
- Contribute by using our services. Stay with us at Le Tonlé Kratie or Stung Treng guest houses, both traditional Khmer wooden stilt houses.
- Enjoy the hospitality of our trainees. Dine at our restaurants and give our students crucial on-the-job experience. We know you’ll enjoy your meal and our service.
- Share your knowledge and experience with our students. We love hearing from people with skills in hospitality, gardening and organic, English or other skills. We are happy to learn!
- Learn yourself. Be taught by our trainees, and master our delicious Khmer specialities.
- Donate. Funds go directly towards 12 month scholarships for our trainees.