More than just a guest house
Skills development & vocational training for
disadvantaged youth in north-east Cambodia
Social Enterprise + Cambodian Hospitality
Stay with Tonlé and support our trainees.
Le Tonlé Tourism Training Center is also a 13 rooms guesthouse located in the center of Kratie, in North East of Cambodia.
We also have a restaurant providing Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Our restaurant offers traditional Khmer dishes and western food.
You are welcome to discover this nice place if you travel in this region!
Closing the gap for rural youth.
Le Tonlé was founded by Tourism for Help (TfH) in 2007 in Stung Treng. In the first 5 years under the direct management and operation from TfH, 63 trainees (30 women) successfully undertook the 1 year training course.
Supporting disadvantaged youth.
From October 1st 2012, the Cambodian Rural Development Team (CRDT) took over the project from TfH under a MoU and agreements with the funding support from the Fédération Genevoise de Coopération (FGC) based in Switzerland and supervised by TfH. Another 36 students (20 women) successfully finished the training course under management of CRDT. Currently, 17 students participate in the 9th school year (2015 – 2016).
Le Tonlé TTC also builds a stable partnership with the Ministry of Tourism, Provincial Department of Tourism, Mekong Discovery Trail Project and Netherlands Development Organization (SNV). Le Tonlé TTC received in 2016 the certificate of ASEAN Mutual Recognition Arrangement (MRA) for Tourism Professionals from the Cambodian Ministry of Tourism.
To expand the impact scope and provide more opportunities in different aspects of tourism and hospitality, a second Le Tonlé center was established in Kratie town in late 2013. The new training center is equipped with practical facilities such as kitchen, a classroom, a welcoming ground floor restaurant, and a classic 9 bedroom guesthouse in a traditional wooden stilt house.
In 2014, CRDT decided to focus its efforts on the guesthouse in Kratie, which hosts more tourists, and closed the Stung Treng guesthouse.
Aims & Objectives
- To contribute to poverty reduction and ecological conservation of Cambodia by introducing responsible, sustainable tourism and by training the local population to cater for tourists.
- To give theoretical and practical training to young disadvantaged Cambodians in the different areas of tourism professions to enable them to obtain varied and worthwhile careers.
- To provide quality training in response to the requirements of tourism professionals in Cambodia.
- To integrate the values of responsible tourism in the training.
The Training Course
The Le Tonlé training model is Learning by Doing, and our 12 month training course covers a range of industry-specific subjects.
- Theoretical classes: General English, English for Tourism, Administration & Invoicing, Computer Literacy, Service Excellence, and Ecology.
- Practical classes: Hygiene, First Aid, House-keeping, Cooking & Food Preparation, Food & Beverage service, Front Office & Reception, and Job Application & CV Development.
Since its inception, 121 students (63 female) have graduated from the 12 month Le Tonlé training program. 95 % of our trainees found work after graduation in guest houses, hotels, restaurants and other tourism providers in the provinces of Stung Treng, Kratie and Ratanakiri.
Hospitality skills are sorely lacking in Cambodia, simply because of the lack of training institutes focusing on vocation skills. Despite year on year growth of tourist arrivals, and ever growing number of guest houses, hotels, and tourism providers, there is a deficit of suitably skilled staff. The training provided by Le Tonlé equips students with job-ready skills, and employers and tourism operators in the north-east welcome the skills and enthusiam our graduates bring to their new careers.
We’d love to hear from you!
Get in touch with us
#724, Street 03,
Phsar Veng Village,
+855 72 210 505
+855 95 261 448